Registered Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
McGregor is a non-profit assisted living and retirement facility offering its residents a longstanding reputation of excellence. Our award-winning senior living community is located on a 32-acre historic estate in Cleveland and ensures all seniors who reside there enjoy the highest standards of personal dignity, respect, quality of life, and compassion. We are seeking a Registered Nurse (RN)/Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to join the McGregor team.
The RN/LPN is responsible for supervising, providing, and coordinating nursing care in compliance with facility policies and procedures, as well as assessing residents’ care needs and taking appropriate action.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Follow established standards of nursing practices and implement facility policies and procedures.
- Interpret existing policies and procedures for nursing assistants, restorative nursing assistants, residents, families, and physicians.
- Supervise and evaluate all direct resident care and initiate corrective action as necessary.
- Obtain reports from nurses being relieved and record sufficient information to implement appropriate follow-up action, as necessary.
- Provide a report to the nurse coming on duty, including sufficient information for follow-up action, as necessary.
- Conduct resident rounds daily, reporting problems to the nursing supervisor, and initiating corrective action.
- Identify safety hazards and initiate corrective action immediately.
- Identify resident problems and emergency situations and initiate emergency care and “life-saving” measures in the absence of a physician.
- Follow, supervise, and evaluate implementation of the Resident’s Rights Program.
- Provide supervision to the nursing assistant who is providing direct resident care.
- Attend staff meetings, in-service classes, and committee meetings as assigned.
- Follow staffing guidelines and make nursing assignments according to qualifications of staff and characteristics of the resident population.
- Assume responsibility for compliance with federal, state, and local regulations within the assigned unit.
- Counsel nursing assistants and recommend disciplinary action to the Director of Nursing Services when necessary.
- Participate in the employee evaluation process by providing information on the performance of nursing assistants.
- Administer and document direct resident care, medications, and treatments per physicians’ orders and accurately record all care provided.
- Provide instruction for appropriate nursing care to nursing assistants.
- Promptly report changes in residents’ conditions to the physician, nurse manager, and responsible party, and take follow-up action as necessary.
- Follow facility admission procedures and communicate resident admission to other departments, physicians, and ancillary service providers.
- Follow facility discharge/transfer procedures and coordinate discharge/transfer with other departments, physicians, and ancillary service providers.
- Supervise response to residents’ calls for assistance.
- Listen to resident, family, or physician concerns and initiate corrective action and/or report concerns to the nursing supervisor or nurse manager.
- Count narcotics, and check emergency kits and exchange keys.
- Notify physician, when necessary, of changes in a resident’s condition or weight, as well as any medication errors, medications not available, abnormal laboratory/X-ray results, and any other unusual observations.
- Document resident progress notes as required. Document daily notes on unstable residents, Medicare residents, and recently admitted residents.
- Consistently work cooperatively with residents, nursing staff, physicians, families, consultant personnel, community agencies, and ancillary service providers.
- Be responsible for the safety of residents under his/her supervision. Observe all facility safety policies and procedures.
- Work as scheduled and consistently demonstrate dependability and punctuality.
- Assume accountability for data contained in the employee handbook.
- Perform all duties assigned in an effective, cooperative, timely, and professional manner.
- Observe infection control procedures.
- Consistently work cooperatively with residents, residents’ representatives, facility staff, physicians, consultants, and ancillary service providers.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities:
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
An individual must be a graduate of an approved School of Nursing. He/ she should have experience as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse in a long-term care environment in a practice or clinical setting.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations:
An individual must hold a current, active, and valid license as a Registered Nurse or Licensed Practical Nurse by the State of Ohio with no sustained findings or convictions and have a CPR/First Aid certification.
Physical and Lifting Requirements:
An individual must be able to perform very heavy work, such as exerting more than 100 pounds of force occasionally, and/or in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements exceed those for heavy work.
Other Skills and Abilities:
An individual must have knowledge of electronic medical records charting programs, as well as basic Internet and email capabilities.
Benefits and Incentives:
McGregor provides a high ratio of staff to residents, competitive wages, and excellent benefit options. We celebrate inclusion in our team members, and we value respect, teamwork, compassion, accountability, and quality. Other benefits include:
Salary commensurate with experience
A $3,000 sign-on retention bonus for new employees who remain in good standing for one year, to be paid incrementally throughout the year