Celebrate Joyful Moments in Your Senior Care Community
Recognizing the Value of Assisted Living
During the week of September 11-17, 2022, assisted living providers across the country will be celebrating National Assisted Living Week. This week was established in 1995 by the National Center for Assisted Living to recognize the role of assisted living in caring for seniors and individuals with disabilities in our communities. The theme for this year’s week is “Joyful Moments,” a welcome reminder for all of us in the industry to celebrate moments of joy—big or small—with our residents, team members, and families after several challenging years.
How will your Assisted Living community celebrate? The National Center for Assisted Living has ideas for how you can spark moments of joy with your residents and staff:
- Host a “show and tell” event where residents can share a photo or object and a story.
- Display resident photos in a gallery.
- Create and share a slideshow of residents participating in events.
- Plan an arts and crafts afternoon.
- Host a class on flower planting or container gardening.
- Invite your local animal shelter to visit with a few furry friends.
- Set up a virtual visit to a museum or another national or global destination.
- Bring in a local musician or band to perform for residents.
- Invite young people in the community for a special event.
- Ask an exercise instructor to host a special group class for older adults.
There are many possibilities! While we look forward to a fun week, let’s all remember to focus on joyful moments with our residents and caregiving professionals all year long.